Monday, January 12, 2009

Machu Picchu!

I finally made it to Machu Picchu! On Christmas day after we opened presents we packed up to head to Cusco and Machu Picchu. This was Chris's 3rd time Brock's 2nd and my first, finally. We stayed in Cusco the first night and then took a train up to Aguas Calientes to spend the night before we headed to Machu Picchu. Really it was because my dad and I wanted to get up early to hike to the top of Huanapicchu. They only allow 400 people a day on the trail so we had to get up early to be the first on the trek. It was way cool because we were the very first 2 people on the trail, I am no the least bit competitive, right! The trail is pretty fun with complete drop offs and tiny steps but wow was it beautiful. This is me on the top of the mountain, it was really cloudy though so we could not see much but so worth it.
My dad and I waiting to be the first on the trail at the crack of dawn. Were pumped up and ready!

Unfortunately it rained quite a bit while we were there, but the boys did not care on bit. In fact I think they went out of their way to find every puddle they could find to jump in.


This is my child who never sleeps. I swear the kid never gets tired. From Cusco you have to take a train to Machu Picchu which is about 4 hours, and man he fought going to sleep hard, but finally gave in and this is what he looked like when he did. He would not go to sleep in my lap, but instead went on the floor, in the middle of the isle might I add and fell asleep. Whew that was alot of work.



Grandma and Grandpa Higbee eating their choclo on the train. It is fun along the way the train will stop and you can buy things from people from the window of your seat, so Chris bought everyone some choclo and cheese. Choclo is the Peruvian version of corn, but the kernels are gigantic. I personally don't care much for it, but my husband and kids do. I think it grew on my grandparents, either that or they were just being nice.




2 comments:

Kelsey said...

If we ever make it your way for a visit, we have to go there to visit, it looks so beautiful!!

Unknown said...

Machu Pichu¡ man, we gotta go there some day somehow. You look super happy Danielle. I love you fun aventuras hahaha¡